E$LNGU - Update a Language Message file
- call e$lngu
What it does
With this program you can update a Language Message File quick and easy by filling the work file E$LNGUPD with data from, for example, MS-Excel. E$LNGUPD has the following fields:
E$MSGK Message ID (a7) E$TEXT Message Text (a132)
When you start E$LNGU, you have to choose the language you are going to update. Choosing a language does not change your library list as E$LNGS does. Next, program E$LNGU1 starts and performs a CHGMSGD for each E$MSGK in the work file.
A smart way to translate and update Language Message Files is the follwoing:
- Load the fields E$TEXT, E$TLEN and E$MSGK of E$LNGREF using ODBC into MS-Excel.
- Create in MS-Excel a fourth column for the other language you want.
- Put the translations in the fourth column.
- When you are done, select the columns 3 and 4 and press CTRL-C to copy them to the clipboard.
- Start a plain ASCII editor and paste the TAB-delimited text.
- Remove the first line (column titles) and replace all TAB-characters with nothing using 'replace all'.
- Copy this textfile using FTP or so to the AS/400 into E$LNGUPD.
- Start E$LNGU.
- 1 - Select
- Use this option to select a language. Only the first record with a 1 is taken when multiple are selected.
Here is an example of the steps described above.
Create the MS-Excel sheet and copy the last two columns:
Start a plain ASCII editor and paste the TAB-delimited text:
Then, with FTP, upload it directly into E$LNGUPD:
Here is the DSPPFM result of E$LNGUPD:
And the last step is to start E$LNGU and choose the language of which the corresponding message file should be updated:
Go to download page